2015-10-08

En cuanto a los toros... (On bullfighting...)

Ve por debajo para la versión española.
There are a million things that I love about Spain. It’s nature, it’s weather, the rich culture and above all the people who are so welcoming and open. But there are things that I simply don’t understand and what’s more, they horrify me. The most important being their lack of respect towards animals (think of the maltreatment of greyhounds) and more specifically bullfighting.

Before my stay in Valladolid I was rather ignorant when it comes to bullfighting and it’s “importance in Spanish culture”. To be honest I thought bullfighting had already been banished in large parts of Spain. Outside of Spain people only know about the “corridas” in Pamplona, no? Truth is that bullfighting is immensely popular in the whole of Spain and only banished in Catalonia. Almost every town has its own version of the bullfighting “game”.

One day in class we were learning expressions in which bullfighting terminology is used. Of course being interested in the language I wanted to learn those typical expressions too. To get familiar with the terminology the teacher showed us a YouTube clip of a bullfight. I couldn’t bear to look at it. The whole time I kept my eyes on the papers in front of me. I couldn’t look up at all. She could just as well have explained the words using some drawings. It offended me deeply and it cost me some effort not to stand up and leave the class room. To top it off, the teacher said: “I’m not too fond of bullfighting myself, but hey, every country has its own cruelties towards animals when it comes to folklore.”!! I couldn’t believe what I heard!! It cost me an enormous amount not to jump up and tell her just what I thought. No, not every country maltreats animals just because it’s part of their culture. And even if it should be true in some or even just one country, is that a valid reason to not stand up against it in one’s own land? !NO! It’s merely an excuse to hide behind. In the end I said nothing. After all I was a guest in their country.

To sum up, yes, I love Spain and I love the Spanish people, but in certain aspects they really lag behind and that’s a damn shame. Silver lining in all of this: there is some progress. Just now the city government of Tordesillas was convicted in the case of “El Toro de la Vega” (the bull of the field). It's a very barbaric and gruesome variant of bullfighting in which the residents of the town (not toreros themselves) get to chase a bull into a field on foot or on horseback. One after another they get to attack the bull until it dies. And to think that this happened only one week after my boyfriend and me were sipping a coffee on the Plaza Mayor (Main square) of Tordesillas...

I’m really glad I got to express my opinion here, because it stuck with me ever since that class.
Tomar un café en la Plaza Mayor de Tordesillas (martes el 25 de agosto 2015)

Hay muchísimas cosas españolas que me encantan. La naturaleza, el tiempo, la cultura tan rica y sobre todo la gente tan acogedora. Pero hay cosas que no entiendo y además me horrorizan, lo más importante siendo su actitud con aspecto a los animales (piensa en los galgos maltratados) y toros especificamente.

Antes de mi estancia en Valladolid, era bastante ignorante en cuanto a los toros y la “importancia cultural” que tienen. A decir verdad yo creía que los toros ya estaban prohibidos en un gran parte de España. Excepto en España la mayoría solamente conoce a los corridas en Pamplona, ¿no? De hecho los toros son muy populares en todo España y solamente están prohibidos en Catalunya. Casi cada pueblo en España tiene una versión alternativa de los toros.

Un día en clase vimos expresiones con terminología tauromaquia. Claro que estoy interesada en el idioma y quiero aprender las expresiones tipicales. Para familiarizarnos con esta terminología la profesora nos mostró un clip youtube en el que tiene lugar los toros. No me lo pude creer, ni pude mirar a la pantalla. Durante todo el clip me quedó con la cara dirigida hacia mis papeles. No pude levanatar la vista. También podría hacerlo con dibujos de toreros. A mi me afendó mucho y me costó no abandonar la clase. Y lo que es más importante, la profesora dijo: «A mi no me gustán tanto los toros, pero bueno, cada país tiene sus crualidades hacia animales.» ¡¡No daba credito a mis oídos!! En este punto me costó enormamente no levantarme y explicarla la verdad. No, no cada país aprueba maltratar a los animales porque forma parte de su cultura. Y incluso si tuviera crueldades en otros países, es un argumento para no hacer nada en su propio país? ¡NO! Es un excusa detrás en la se puede amparar. Finalmente no dijo nada. Al fin y al cabo estaba de invitada en su país.

Resumiendo, ¡sí!, me encanta España y los españoles, pero en aspectos determinados están atrasados y eso es lástima. Por suerte hay progreso. Recientemente el ayuntamiento de Tordesillas fue condenado por El Toro de la Vega. Un variante muy barbárico y espantoso de los toros en el que los residentes de Tordesillas (no son toreros) acosan un toro uno después del otro en un campo (la Vega) hasta que muere. No quiero ni pensarlo que este tuvo lugar solamente una semana después que mi novio y yo fuimos bebiendo un café en el Plaza Mayor ahí...

Estoy muy contenta de haber expresado mi opinión aquí, porque me preocubaba desde esta clase.

It's six o'clock, five o'clock in the Canary Islands and the sixteenth centry in Tordesillas. (Fuente: El Mundo)

No comments:

Post a Comment